Students moving into the Secondary section of school experience many changes. Ultimately, the purpose of the Year 7 curriculum is to make the transition from Primary to Secondary smoother for students, introducing them more gradually to the new demands of the Secondary curriculum.
The Framework is built around 6 subject groups that provide each student with a broad and balanced range of subjects in every year of the programme. Five of these provide a foundation of knowledge in traditional subject disciplines (English, Humanities, Sciences, Mathematics and the Arts) while the sixth, namely Physical Education, is a vital component in the holistic education of each student.
In addition to this basic structure, students are required to participate in the PSHE programme in Years 7-10; each student is also placed in a Norwegian Language course that satisfies national requirements, and 21st Century skills are developed through the project-based courses of digital skills, service learning and global issues.
The curriculum is designed to address the following student needs:
1. to learn how to use the required software for Secondary (Itslearning and transition from using ipads to laptops)
2. to spend more time learning organisational skills and the independence required for success in the Secondary
3. to gradually shift to dealing with new subjects and more teachers
4. to learn the expectations and regulations of Secondary (including exams)
5. to transition from different programmes and systems in Maths, Literacy, SfL and English B.