Academic and personal development
The Year 8-10 Curriculum is guided by OIS' commitment to five main principles:
providing a broad and balanced educational experience
supporting the individual student's development within the context of the core learner outcomes
educating for ethical, international citizenship
preparing students for further education
meeting national requirements
The Lower Secondary framework is built around 7 subject groups that provide each student with a broad and balanced choice of subjects in every year of the programme. Six of these groups provide a foundation of knowledge in the traditional subject disciplines (Language A, Language B, Humanities, Sciences, Mathematics and the Arts) while the seventh, namely Physical Education, is a vital component in the holistic education of each student.
In addition to this basic structure, students in Years 8-10 are required to participate in the Personal, Social, Health Education programme to support their personal development. Each student is placed in the most appropriate Norwegian course to satisfy national requirements.
1. sets and helps students achieve high academic standards.
2. focuses on ambitious learning outcomes that are student-centred and skills-based.
3. consists of challenging and coherent programmes of study, as well as approaches to learning and teaching.
4. supports and allows all students to develop their unique potential within the context of the school’s aims and programmes.
5. is delivered by highly qualified and motivated teachers who work collaboratively with each other and their students.